Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 10146
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:04 pm

Well, things have been looking quite rosy in recent weeks, with the pandemic seeming to be as good as over, but as Covid seems to be disappearing from the headlines, another parasite is dominating the news, the V-PUTIN contagion, spreading south west from Russia and currently causing a lot of unpleasantness in Ukraine, which is fighting back with more than a little success.

So far, the effects on Ireland appear to have been limited to the forced withdrawal of Aeroflot and the suspension of flights to Ukraine and Moldova (which has also closed its airspace). Sadly, as we now know, a much admired visitor, the An-225 was destroyed on the ground at Gostomel Airport near Kiev. The Ukrainians have vowed to rebuild it (or a replacement).

There have been many positive developments during the month:
- Several airlines have announced increases in service throughout the summer, and not just to DUB.
- We bade farewell to Amapola and finally welcomed Emerald, which has started to operate the DUB-CFN flights, its first route
- MS announces DUB-CAI 4 times weekly
- On a negative note, the Metro plan seems to be shunted even further down the tracks, with a date of now 2035 now predicted
- Jan 22 traffic still -54% vs. 2020, but a near fourfold increase over 2021, which of course, was dominated by restrictions
- DAA applies for solar farm permission
- Last 3 EI A321 Ceos sold for freighter conversion
- SNN completed €5.3m worth of airside works
- Holiday Inn at DUB closes after only 7 months
- EI announces operating loss of €347m for 2021
- AerCap heavily exposed to Russian carriers, with around 118 aircraft

Here's a link to the last thread, for reference: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1469909&start=100

We can only hope that the unacceptable and horrific violence visited upon Ukraine and its people can be brought to an end as soon as possible, preferably with the withdrawal of Russian troops.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 5420
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:32 pm

I tell you what, flights are cheap at the moment! I just booked DUB-GLA on Ryanair for €17.99 (€4 of that was the seat) and €33 on Aer Lingus EDI-DUB for the weekend after next. Crazy cheap!

In actual fact, I did book EI both ways which was €50 all in, with €29 of that covered by a voucher I had. Unfortunately the payment failed last night for some unknown reason and it said to call up and pay within 24 hours. I called today and the Bulgaria call centre advised I would have to pay in full and get the voucher back because they can't take voucher payments over the phone.

Well that pissed me off, so I said just cancel the booking. Unbelievable. That made my decision for me to take the much better timed FR service instead. I still can't believe it. Meanwhile, last month I visited the Aer Lingus lounge in Dublin. Looks good since the refresh.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Not too much food on offer (croissants, bread, biscuits), but the barista coffee was nice, as were the juices.

I wrote up a review as well, of course, which is here.
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2385
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:02 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
I called today and the Bulgaria call centre advised I would have to pay in full and get the voucher back because they can't take voucher payments over the phone.

In my experience, the EI call centre staff are extremely limited on what they can do. If it’s anything other than a straightforward flight booking, forget it. Want to pay for a cabin bag? Absolutely not. Pay for a pre-selected seat? You must be mad.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 5420
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:10 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
In my experience, the EI call centre staff are extremely limited on what they can do. If it’s anything other than a straightforward flight booking, forget it. Want to pay for a cabin bag? Absolutely not. Pay for a pre-selected seat? You must be mad.


The thing that got me though was she had a record of it right there in front of her, because I'd processed the whole thing online in the first place. All I had to pay was the €20 remaining. It wasn't me or my card's fault the payment didn't go through last night. I asked for a supervisor about eight times (telling her I was not complaining about her) and she categorically refused as they also can't put people through to a supervisor apparently and I would "get a survey by e-mail". We'll see what happens next. Either way, it was mind bogglingly poor service, though I see largely not her fault. Luckily she was professional and handled me pretty well with all her refusals.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 26108
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:05 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
I called today and the Bulgaria call centre advised I would have to pay in full and get the voucher back because they can't take voucher payments over the phone.

In my experience, the EI call centre staff are extremely limited on what they can do. If it’s anything other than a straightforward flight booking, forget it. Want to pay for a cabin bag? Absolutely not. Pay for a pre-selected seat? You must be mad.


Its a mixed bag sometimes they are good other times terrible you do miss the Irish call center at least they were able to think outside of the box on many occasions. If I have any seating issues I usually get it resolved at the Business check in or lounge the team there are great god help us if that gets outsourced.

--

Just back from FRA . Outbound had 128 passengers and way back just 33. I was surprised by how quiet FRA was and many places in T2 shut . Just a note of caution anyone using Aer Lingus into T2 the skytrain is shut and a shuttle bus operates the long way so allow an extra 30 mins from train / T1 .

The number of odd engine cowlings seems to be increasing .


Image
 
EI321
Posts: 5092
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:20 pm

I've noticed it too, the random Aer Lingus cowlings are getting worse. It seemed to be just A330s up to recently but quite a few A320s are appearing with mismatched cowlings now.

How long does it take to replace a cowling? Surely it wouldn't be difficult to paint them as the aircraft itself wouldn't need to go into the paint hangar, just fit them in hanger 6 overnight?

On another paint note, great to see the Emerald ATRs in the new livery, it quite suits them.
 
shamrock321
Posts: 789
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 7:27 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:09 am

OA260 wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
I called today and the Bulgaria call centre advised I would have to pay in full and get the voucher back because they can't take voucher payments over the phone.

In my experience, the EI call centre staff are extremely limited on what they can do. If it’s anything other than a straightforward flight booking, forget it. Want to pay for a cabin bag? Absolutely not. Pay for a pre-selected seat? You must be mad.


Its a mixed bag sometimes they are good other times terrible you do miss the Irish call center at least they were able to think outside of the box on many occasions. If I have any seating issues I usually get it resolved at the Business check in or lounge the team there are great god help us if that gets outsourced.

-

Just back from FRA . Outbound had 128 passengers and way back just 33. I was surprised by how quiet FRA was and many places in T2 shut . Just a note of caution anyone using Aer Lingus into T2 the skytrain is shut and a shuttle bus operates the long way so allow an extra 30 mins from train / T1 .

The number of odd engine cowlings seems to be increasing .


Image


I’ve taken that flight quite a few times assuming you were on the 657 pre pandemic and it was unusual to see loads as low as that…had 14 on a late SXF-DUB one night!
 
EI321
Posts: 5092
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:10 am

Lufthansa to start a cargo route from Frankfurt to Dublin on March 15th with converted A321 freighters.
 
iRISH251
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:56 am

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:16 pm

EI321 wrote:
I've noticed it too, the random Aer Lingus cowlings are getting worse. It seemed to be just A330s up to recently but quite a few A320s are appearing with mismatched cowlings now.

How long does it take to replace a cowling? Surely it wouldn't be difficult to paint them as the aircraft itself wouldn't need to go into the paint hangar, just fit them in hanger 6 overnight?

On another paint note, great to see the Emerald ATRs in the new livery, it quite suits them.


I thought that all painting was done now by external contractors, so maybe the airline no longer has the facility and staff trained to do even small jobs?
 
ltbewr
Posts: 16070
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:38 pm

The current issues of Russia's war in Ukraine and seeing this thread brought up some memories. One of the most interesting experiences I had at SNN in 1984 was seeing an Aeroflot plane at a gate while waiting for my return flight (on a scheduled charter Transamerica Airlines DC-8) to JFK. This was during the 'cold war' so I was a bit arrogant as to the then USSR. Apparently they stopped there daily for refiling on flights to/from JFK, Havana and elsewhere in the Americas. Passengers were allowed to leave the plane and in a conversation with a bartender he said they were not good customers. I went through SNN as only the then version of Aer Lingus and maybe Pan Am had direct service to DUB from JFK and other places in the USA. SNN was the default until a few years later with deregulation for almost all charter flights between the USA and ROI.
Does SNN have any direct flights to the USA and was their any pre-pandemic ?
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2385
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:53 pm

ltbewr wrote:
The current issues of Russia's war in Ukraine and seeing this thread brought up some memories. One of the most interesting experiences I had at SNN in 1984 was seeing an Aeroflot plane at a gate while waiting for my return flight (on a scheduled charter Transamerica Airlines DC-8) to JFK. This was during the 'cold war' so I was a bit arrogant as to the then USSR. Apparently they stopped there daily for refiling on flights to/from JFK, Havana and elsewhere in the Americas. Passengers were allowed to leave the plane and in a conversation with a bartender he said they were not good customers. I went through SNN as only the then version of Aer Lingus and maybe Pan Am had direct service to DUB from JFK and other places in the USA. SNN was the default until a few years later with deregulation for almost all charter flights between the USA and ROI.
Does SNN have any direct flights to the USA and was their any pre-pandemic ?

Yes SU had a hub at SNN in the 80s and early 90s as a refuelling stop for their transatlantic flights as their Tupolev fleet didn't have the legs for nonstop ops. There were many "exotic" destinations appearing on the departure boards at that time. As Ireland was the westernmost non-NATO country in Europe, it made sense for them to establish a hub there. I believe they also paid Aer Rianta (the then owners of SNN) in aviation fuel rather than currency, which led to the development of a jetty outside the airport on the Shannon Estuary to accept fuel imports. I flew SNN-ORD with them in 1994 but was too young to remember the experience.

To answer your last question, this summer (2022), SNN will have scheduled flights to JFK and BOS with EI, and EWR with UA. Pre-pandemic, we also had SNN-JFK with DL and SNN-PHL with AA (and going back further to 2018, SNN-YYZ with AC).
 
richcandy
Posts: 764
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:49 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:40 pm

Hi

I'm flying out of BHD with BA in a few days. I have a club Europe ticket, but no status do I have access to a lounge? Last time nothing was open, the time before that I could use the BA lounge but I'm not sure if that ever re opened.

Thanks

Alex
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 5420
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:38 pm

richcandy wrote:
I'm flying out of BHD with BA in a few days. I have a club Europe ticket, but no status do I have access to a lounge? Last time nothing was open, the time before that I could use the BA lounge but I'm not sure if that ever re opened.


Yes, you will have access to a lounge flying Club Europe. The Aspire Lounge is the one you'll use - I believe it's the former BA lounge now operated by Aspire. It's open 5am to 8pm at the moment.

You can always find out here on the oneworld site in future. They keep that very up to date - lounges that are closed are marked as such, for example, and they update the data quickly enough!
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 26108
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:31 pm

shamrock321 wrote:
I’ve taken that flight quite a few times assuming you were on the 657 pre pandemic and it was unusual to see loads as low as that…had 14 on a late SXF-DUB one night!


Yes it was indeed the evening flight . Really nice gate agent very chatty she said the lowest number of passengers she had seen during the pandemic was 11 on a FRA - DUB .

--

Three suspected members of international gang arrested at Waterford Airport

https://www.wlrfm.com/news/waterford-ai ... sts-238237

Are there still that many private aircraft using Waterford?
 
Fliplot
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:23 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:13 pm

Anyone any idea why Emerald are running what appear to be scheduled services to SNN from DUB, and return? Looks like 4 times daily. Training? Maybe an unannounced service to cater for EI staff transfers? Nice but expensive. Flights are on Flughtradar24 but not on the SNN website.
 
LAXffDUB
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:05 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:55 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
The current issues of Russia's war in Ukraine and seeing this thread brought up some memories. One of the most interesting experiences I had at SNN in 1984 was seeing an Aeroflot plane at a gate while waiting for my return flight (on a scheduled charter Transamerica Airlines DC-8) to JFK. This was during the 'cold war' so I was a bit arrogant as to the then USSR. Apparently they stopped there daily for refiling on flights to/from JFK, Havana and elsewhere in the Americas. Passengers were allowed to leave the plane and in a conversation with a bartender he said they were not good customers. I went through SNN as only the then version of Aer Lingus and maybe Pan Am had direct service to DUB from JFK and other places in the USA. SNN was the default until a few years later with deregulation for almost all charter flights between the USA and ROI.
Does SNN have any direct flights to the USA and was their any pre-pandemic ?

Yes SU had a hub at SNN in the 80s and early 90s as a refuelling stop for their transatlantic flights as their Tupolev fleet didn't have the legs for nonstop ops. There were many "exotic" destinations appearing on the departure boards at that time. As Ireland was the westernmost non-NATO country in Europe, it made sense for them to establish a hub there. I believe they also paid Aer Rianta (the then owners of SNN) in aviation fuel rather than currency, which led to the development of a jetty outside the airport on the Shannon Estuary to accept fuel imports. I flew SNN-ORD with them in 1994 but was too young to remember the experience.

To answer your last question, this summer (2022), SNN will have scheduled flights to JFK and BOS with EI, and EWR with UA. Pre-pandemic, we also had SNN-JFK with DL and SNN-PHL with AA (and going back further to 2018, SNN-YYZ with AC).


I flew them as well in the early '90s between IAD and SNN. I recall the regular schedule being a bit of a mess with odd departure and arrival times. They changed it frequently too whenever government delegations needed to visit with little notification, if any. But the fares were cheap, which also made them very popular with backpackers!
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4407
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:30 am

kaitak wrote:
... finally welcomed Emerald, which has started to operate the DUB-CFN flights, its first route.

What is the traffic/catchment on this route? CFN itself is so far away from Donegal town (1 hour+ by road).
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 5420
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:57 am

planemanofnz wrote:
kaitak wrote:
... finally welcomed Emerald, which has started to operate the DUB-CFN flights, its first route.

What is the traffic/catchment on this route? CFN itself is so far away from Donegal town (1 hour+ by road).


Well, it's a PSO route, so it's Government subsidised. It was operated by an ATR-42 for years, then the Fokker 50 for the interim period so it's not huge numbers. I've flown on it four times and it always seems to have a decent number of people on it.

Does anyone know if the traffic figures for the route are published anywhere?
 
factsonly
Posts: 3253
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:12 am

ClassicLover wrote:

Does anyone know if the traffic figures for the route are published anywhere?


Air Traffic data can be found at the Central Statistics Office:

https://data.cso.ie/
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 26108
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:21 am

Pilot shares his advice for those wanting to get into planespotting across Northern Ireland

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/whats-on/ ... 254864.amp

--

Irish aircraft leasing firms face ‘mission impossible’ recovering planes from Russia

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/iri ... -1.4814266

Have any aircraft managed to be recovered yet or are they just grounded in Russian Airports ? Some interesting figures on the liabilities involved.
 
User avatar
AerTuras1987
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:40 am

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:28 am

Morning all, first time poster, long time lurker. Some interesting visitors in Dublin the last few days with multiple fuel stops with Air Canada 787's, come lighter days it might be quite a sight with Etihopian aircraft also on the ground at similar times. This morning 2nd also sees an EL AL 787-9 depart, possibly in for wing paint issues.

One a second note, I am really not impressed & disappointed with the IAA & the minister for transport for not being proactive and pulling the Certs for Irish registered aircraft in Russia. Rossiya continue to operate their 747s on the Irish flag. https://fr24.com/SDM5631/2afe6e2d

They won't be able to receive payments from their Russian carriers so they can't sit on their hands on this. Be proactive and pull the certs for crying out loud.
 
User avatar
AerTuras1987
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:40 am

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:36 am

Some have been nabbed outside of the country, of the top of my head one Pobeda 737-800 in Istanbul and two Aeroflot A320 something's in Ostrava on check. There's one Aeroflot A321 in GVA and another A320 in Amsterdam. It was trying for DUS but diverted. Some sporting trivia, ex Liverpool & Ukraine striker Andriy Voronin was on it fleeing Moscow.
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2385
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:36 am

planemanofnz wrote:
kaitak wrote:
... finally welcomed Emerald, which has started to operate the DUB-CFN flights, its first route.

What is the traffic/catchment on this route? CFN itself is so far away from Donegal town (1 hour+ by road).

That's an interesting question. The geographic catchment is actually quite small due to poor road infrastructure and public transport to the airport being practically nil. I would say the bulk of western/south Donegal would be within a 1 hour drive but I have relatives in Inishowen (northeast Donegal) and it would take them nearly 2 hours by road to access it. LDY would be much closer to that side.

On the other hand, the KIR geographic catchment area is much wider (catering for basically all of Kerry as well as much of west Limerick and north Cork too) due to better roads and public transport access.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 2229
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:45 pm

Travel journalist Eoghan Corry:

Son of Flybe to fly Belfast City to Manchester 2 daily from 7 July, 3 daily from 28 July & 4 daily from 25 August
Son of Flybe to fly Belfast City to Birmingham 3 times daily from 31 March

https://twitter.com/eoghancorry
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 2229
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:54 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
kaitak wrote:
... finally welcomed Emerald, which has started to operate the DUB-CFN flights, its first route.

What is the traffic/catchment on this route? CFN itself is so far away from Donegal town (1 hour+ by road).

That's an interesting question. The geographic catchment is actually quite small due to poor road infrastructure and public transport to the airport being practically nil. I would say the bulk of western/south Donegal would be within a 1 hour drive but I have relatives in Inishowen (northeast Donegal) and it would take them nearly 2 hours by road to access it. LDY would be much closer to that side.

On the other hand, the KIR geographic catchment area is much wider (catering for basically all of Kerry as well as much of west Limerick and north Cork too) due to better roads and public transport access.


CFN had 48,542 for 2019, the majority will be the PSO route. CSO used and might still publish route stats.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 5420
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:58 pm

AerTuras1987 wrote:
Morning all, first time poster, long time lurker. Some interesting visitors in Dublin the last few days with multiple fuel stops with Air Canada 787's, come lighter days it might be quite a sight with Etihopian aircraft also on the ground at similar times. This morning 2nd also sees an EL AL 787-9 depart, possibly in for wing paint issues.


Always good to see some more interesting aircraft passing through! And welcome... posting on here is always good and you'll know everyone is pretty friendly.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 26108
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:03 pm

AerTuras1987 wrote:
Morning all, first time poster, long time lurker. Some interesting visitors in Dublin the last few days with multiple fuel stops with Air Canada 787's, come lighter days it might be quite a sight with Etihopian aircraft also on the ground at similar times. This morning 2nd also sees an EL AL 787-9 depart, possibly in for wing paint issues.

One a second note, I am really not impressed & disappointed with the IAA & the minister for transport for not being proactive and pulling the Certs for Irish registered aircraft in Russia. Rossiya continue to operate their 747s on the Irish flag. https://fr24.com/SDM5631/2afe6e2d

They won't be able to receive payments from their Russian carriers so they can't sit on their hands on this. Be proactive and pull the certs for crying out loud.


Welcome and thanks for the info . Totally agree Irish Aviation does not need all this influence of blood money and serious questions need to be asked if reports are to be believed about the Dublin embassy being a HQ for spies etc ..

In the old Aeroflot SNN days it was always rumoured that illegal exports were channeled through on the HAV service from SNN . Its very sad nonetheless as I flew SNN - SVO - DEL once and was a great experience but wouldn't touch them now or for a very long time to come.

We also had the old Belavia TU's at SNN .
 
EI321
Posts: 5092
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:18 pm

I see an EL AL 787 flew into DUB today, presumably for refueling to avoid Ukraine airspace?
 
User avatar
AerTuras1987
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:40 am

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:21 pm

EI321 wrote:
I see an EL AL 787 flew into DUB today, presumably for refueling to avoid Ukraine airspace?


It looks like that was in since the 23rd of Feb which suggests paint visit to me
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 10146
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:22 pm

OA260 wrote:
AerTuras1987 wrote:
Morning all, first time poster, long time lurker. Some interesting visitors in Dublin the last few days with multiple fuel stops with Air Canada 787's, come lighter days it might be quite a sight with Etihopian aircraft also on the ground at similar times. This morning 2nd also sees an EL AL 787-9 depart, possibly in for wing paint issues.

One a second note, I am really not impressed & disappointed with the IAA & the minister for transport for not being proactive and pulling the Certs for Irish registered aircraft in Russia. Rossiya continue to operate their 747s on the Irish flag. https://fr24.com/SDM5631/2afe6e2d

They won't be able to receive payments from their Russian carriers so they can't sit on their hands on this. Be proactive and pull the certs for crying out loud.


Welcome and thanks for the info . Totally agree Irish Aviation does not need all this influence of blood money and serious questions need to be asked if reports are to be believed about the Dublin embassy being a HQ for spies etc ..

In the old Aeroflot SNN days it was always rumoured that illegal exports were channeled through on the HAV service from SNN . Its very sad nonetheless as I flew SNN - SVO - DEL once and was a great experience but wouldn't touch them now or for a very long time to come.

We also had the old Belavia TU's at SNN .


I remember a story about a woman in Shannon who was supposed to be flying with Manx Airlines - and somehow ended up on the flight to Minsk! I think she was put in a jail cell in overnight and returned on the next flight. How one could possibly manage that, I don't know; you think there'd be tiny little clues here and there, that this aircraft might not be going to somewhere in the UK!

I can also remember going on a school trip to SNN, back in the days when you'd fly down to SNN on the 747 and come back on the train - all for IRL£16. We wrote to Aeroflot and they were kind enough to let us go on board an IL86 (CCCP-86067) and we were very impressed. It was a great experience.

I don't want to go into politics here, but every aspect of this is so sad. As for Irish lessors, good luck in getting those aircraft back! It's going to take a while.
 
User avatar
AerTuras1987
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:40 am

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:22 pm

OA260 wrote:
AerTuras1987 wrote:
Morning all, first time poster, long time lurker. Some interesting visitors in Dublin the last few days with multiple fuel stops with Air Canada 787's, come lighter days it might be quite a sight with Etihopian aircraft also on the ground at similar times. This morning 2nd also sees an EL AL 787-9 depart, possibly in for wing paint issues.

One a second note, I am really not impressed & disappointed with the IAA & the minister for transport for not being proactive and pulling the Certs for Irish registered aircraft in Russia. Rossiya continue to operate their 747s on the Irish flag. https://fr24.com/SDM5631/2afe6e2d

They won't be able to receive payments from their Russian carriers so they can't sit on their hands on this. Be proactive and pull the certs for crying out loud.


Welcome and thanks for the info . Totally agree Irish Aviation does not need all this influence of blood money and serious questions need to be asked if reports are to be believed about the Dublin embassy being a HQ for spies etc ..

In the old Aeroflot SNN days it was always rumoured that illegal exports were channeled through on the HAV service from SNN . Its very sad nonetheless as I flew SNN - SVO - DEL once and was a great experience but wouldn't touch them now or for a very long time to come.

We also had the old Belavia TU's at SNN .


Thanks very much, and also ClassicLover for the welcome. I'll try be nice too!
Last edited by AerTuras1987 on Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 5420
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:30 pm

kaitak wrote:
I can also remember going on a school trip to SNN, back in the days when you'd fly down to SNN on the 747 and come back on the train - all for IRL£16. We wrote to Aeroflot and they were kind enough to let us go on board an IL86 (CCCP-86067) and we were very impressed. It was a great experience.


My Manager at work was telling me the other week about how he took his Scout troupe on one of these flights to SNN on Aer Lingus and the train back. Apparently loads, if not all of the children's first time in a plane. Sounds like it would have been fun.

Whenever I had to do any work in our Shannon office, I would take the DUB-SNN-DUB flights instead of the train. Even when our roles all became redundant in 2009, we had to have some kind of training and it was in the Free Zone so I still flew there and back. People thought I was mad, but I'm glad I did it as we'll never see it again I wouldn't think.
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 3232
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:58 pm

kaitak wrote:
I don't want to go into politics here, but every aspect of this is so sad. As for Irish lessors, good luck in getting those aircraft back! It's going to take a while.


Even the mechanics of getting seized aircraft out of Russia would be difficult, I imagine. I assume, but dont know, if the Russian border is open to foreign passport holders even before pilots would get access airside to aircraft, be able to fuel and file flight plans. I assume an "Aeroflot" aircraft on an EI-reg, being repossessed would not be a Russian aircraft, but the more I think about it the more difficult it seems to get these aircraft out of Russia.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 26108
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:56 pm

Ryanair will be ‘first airline to return to Ukraine’, says CEO
Low-cost airline is flying humanitarian cargo to the country after halting all commercial flights

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... e-says-ceo

Interesting predictions that it will be Winter before MOL can see FR operating . They had been due to operate to 4 airports carrying 2 million passengers.
 
Fliplot
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:23 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:57 pm

I believe the Russian airlunes will refuse to pay parking for grounded aircraft. The airports will then "legally" impound the airceaft for non payment and the aircraft will remain in limbo in Russia. If the circumstances were normal the leasing comoanies would negotiate payment and the aircraft qiuld be repossessed. But sanctions now make that impossible. Fun times without the fun!
 
EIEIDW
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:22 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:45 pm

Aer Lingus have begun loading the new Emerald Airlines flights from BHD onto the website:

Birmingham - 20 March 2022
Manchester - 27 March 2022
Edinburgh - 27 March 2022
Leeds - 27 March 2022
Glasgow - 8 May 2022
Exeter - 8 May 2022
 
LAXffDUB
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:05 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:34 pm

Passing through LAX at the moment. They seem to be getting ready for EI to return in May. Some signage starting to appear indicates check-in will be at T2 again, which is DL/SkyTeam, but the gates are at the TBIT. That doesn't strike me as very efficient...
 
AMP44
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:01 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:39 pm

Shame Belfast - Exeter has a gap in service. BA terminates on 14 March and EI starts 8 May.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 26108
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:36 am

AMP44 wrote:
Shame Belfast - Exeter has a gap in service. BA terminates on 14 March and EI starts 8 May.


I wish they would take on SOU from DUB and BHD . Eastern are currently making a mess of things with another round of short notice schedule changes and we are talking many hours in the difference .

--

SIPTU ground staff in Aer Lingus reject pay freeze

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0 ... ay-freeze/

Will see what happens now and if this escalates into a strike.
 
User avatar
AerTuras1987
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:40 am

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:54 am

EI321 wrote:
I see an EL AL 787 flew into DUB today, presumably for refueling to avoid Ukraine airspace?


It appears it was paint correction on the wings, seems a KLM 787-9 has swapped in after it for the same job.
 
User avatar
AerTuras1987
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:40 am

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:58 am

ClassicLover wrote:
kaitak wrote:
I can also remember going on a school trip to SNN, back in the days when you'd fly down to SNN on the 747 and come back on the train - all for IRL£16. We wrote to Aeroflot and they were kind enough to let us go on board an IL86 (CCCP-86067) and we were very impressed. It was a great experience.


My Manager at work was telling me the other week about how he took his Scout troupe on one of these flights to SNN on Aer Lingus and the train back. Apparently loads, if not all of the children's first time in a plane. Sounds like it would have been fun.

Whenever I had to do any work in our Shannon office, I would take the DUB-SNN-DUB flights instead of the train. Even when our roles all became redundant in 2009, we had to have some kind of training and it was in the Free Zone so I still flew there and back. People thought I was mad, but I'm glad I did it as we'll never see it again I wouldn't think.


That indeed was my first flight, on an EI 747 to SNN with the cubs, 1994 I think, Bunratty Castle and the train back up, standing room all the way back despite a reserved coach. An earlier service was cancelled so our seats were gone.
 
User avatar
AerTuras1987
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:40 am

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:03 am

BrianDromey wrote:
kaitak wrote:
I don't want to go into politics here, but every aspect of this is so sad. As for Irish lessors, good luck in getting those aircraft back! It's going to take a while.


Even the mechanics of getting seized aircraft out of Russia would be difficult, I imagine. I assume, but dont know, if the Russian border is open to foreign passport holders even before pilots would get access airside to aircraft, be able to fuel and file flight plans. I assume an "Aeroflot" aircraft on an EI-reg, being repossessed would not be a Russian aircraft, but the more I think about it the more difficult it seems to get these aircraft out of Russia.


So at the moment, it's a lessor driven initiative to recover their aircraft. If Putin seizes the aircraft it's game over (bye bye asset) unless they leave Russia. Basically the lessors are relying on the carriers to cooperate, return the aircraft records and position the aircraft somewhere outside of Russia. It's very unlikely for 514 aircraft to be handed back in a 28 day window in a normal handback let alone a sanction driven situation. So it's really a case of damage limitation, maybe they can get a handful out.
 
User avatar
AerTuras1987
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:40 am

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:10 am

Fliplot wrote:
I believe the Russian airlunes will refuse to pay parking for grounded aircraft. The airports will then "legally" impound the airceaft for non payment and the aircraft will remain in limbo in Russia. If the circumstances were normal the leasing comoanies would negotiate payment and the aircraft qiuld be repossessed. But sanctions now make that impossible. Fun times without the fun!


Usually the first to notice an issue with an airline is the lessor as the monthly fees stop. The last to know is the airport and ground handlers, airlines tend to mess them around and not pay on time. In the event an airport impounds an aircraft for non-payment of fees, the lessor will turn up the next day with a nice letter written by their legal department which will allow them to recover their aircraft. The airport gets burned and tough luck basically. Further reading up on the Cape Town Treaty/Convention is useful.

In this Russian situation, they need the aircraft for a functioning domestic society and economy so will most likely be seize by Putin and cut off from the west.
 
iRISH251
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:56 am

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:35 am

This is a good quick analysis of the potential impact of the sanctions over time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrgI4gB5W2o
 
Hinkley
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:37 am

kaitak wrote:
OA260 wrote:
AerTuras1987 wrote:
Morning all, first time poster, long time lurker. Some interesting visitors in Dublin the last few days with multiple fuel stops with Air Canada 787's, come lighter days it might be quite a sight with Etihopian aircraft also on the ground at similar times. This morning 2nd also sees an EL AL 787-9 depart, possibly in for wing paint issues.

One a second note, I am really not impressed & disappointed with the IAA & the minister for transport for not being proactive and pulling the Certs for Irish registered aircraft in Russia. Rossiya continue to operate their 747s on the Irish flag. https://fr24.com/SDM5631/2afe6e2d

They won't be able to receive payments from their Russian carriers so they can't sit on their hands on this. Be proactive and pull the certs for crying out loud.


Welcome and thanks for the info . Totally agree Irish Aviation does not need all this influence of blood money and serious questions need to be asked if reports are to be believed about the Dublin embassy being a HQ for spies etc ..

In the old Aeroflot SNN days it was always rumoured that illegal exports were channeled through on the HAV service from SNN . Its very sad nonetheless as I flew SNN - SVO - DEL once and was a great experience but wouldn't touch them now or for a very long time to come.

We also had the old Belavia TU's at SNN .


I remember a story about a woman in Shannon who was supposed to be flying with Manx Airlines - and somehow ended up on the flight to Minsk! I think she was put in a jail cell in overnight and returned on the next flight. How one could possibly manage that, I don't know; you think there'd be tiny little clues here and there, that this aircraft might not be going to somewhere in the UK!

I can also remember going on a school trip to SNN, back in the days when you'd fly down to SNN on the 747 and come back on the train - all for IRL£16. We wrote to Aeroflot and they were kind enough to let us go on board an IL86 (CCCP-86067) and we were very impressed. It was a great experience.

I don't want to go into politics here, but every aspect of this is so sad. As for Irish lessors, good luck in getting those aircraft back! It's going to take a while.

That was an unaccompanied minor who was asked which airline she was flying with and was directed on to Minx flight instead of Manx Airlines. H.
 
dstc47
Posts: 1522
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 1999 3:53 am

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:03 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
kaitak wrote:
... finally welcomed Emerald, which has started to operate the DUB-CFN flights, its first route.

What is the traffic/catchment on this route? CFN itself is so far away from Donegal town (1 hour+ by road).

That's an interesting question. The geographic catchment is actually quite small due to poor road infrastructure and public transport to the airport being practically nil. I would say the bulk of western/south Donegal would be within a 1 hour drive but I have relatives in Inishowen (northeast Donegal) and it would take them nearly 2 hours by road to access it. LDY would be much closer to that side.

On the other hand, the KIR geographic catchment area is much wider (catering for basically all of Kerry as well as much of west Limerick and north Cork too) due to better roads and public transport access.


While the geography of Donegal is not particularly favourable to airport builders, CFN is indeed very isolated, with much of Donegal finding Derry Airport and, in the past, Sligo Airport more easily reached from the more populous parts of the county. Indeed its survival must be regarded as something of a miracle, given the failure of commercial services from GWY, WAT and Sligo, all of which have bigger potential markets. The small amount of oil and gas traffic might have helped. Got to ask about the PSO need here though, given the highly localised benefit provided.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 26108
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:10 am

iRISH251 wrote:
This is a good quick analysis of the potential impact of the sanctions over time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrgI4gB5W2o


Imagine if WX had kept their SSJ's . Probably would have collapsed them .
 
Clydenairways
Posts: 1424
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:27 am

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:27 pm

dstc47 wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
What is the traffic/catchment on this route? CFN itself is so far away from Donegal town (1 hour+ by road).

That's an interesting question. The geographic catchment is actually quite small due to poor road infrastructure and public transport to the airport being practically nil. I would say the bulk of western/south Donegal would be within a 1 hour drive but I have relatives in Inishowen (northeast Donegal) and it would take them nearly 2 hours by road to access it. LDY would be much closer to that side.

On the other hand, the KIR geographic catchment area is much wider (catering for basically all of Kerry as well as much of west Limerick and north Cork too) due to better roads and public transport access.


While the geography of Donegal is not particularly favourable to airport builders, CFN is indeed very isolated, with much of Donegal finding Derry Airport and, in the past, Sligo Airport more easily reached from the more populous parts of the county. Indeed its survival must be regarded as something of a miracle, given the failure of commercial services from GWY, WAT and Sligo, all of which have bigger potential markets. The small amount of oil and gas traffic might have helped. Got to ask about the PSO need here though, given the highly localised benefit provided.


CFN survived because of the continued lack of good road infrastructure in the region, therefore the PSO pays for it. GWY in particular suffered once the motorway was built and the fact that the local council had management chose to invest in the wrong things over the years and didn’t prepare for the inevitability. I recall reading that they didn’t want to invest in development to accommodate jets and Ryanair because the gravy train of Handout money would end. They also gave jobs to cronies and had very high average salaries compared to other regional airports. I recall a particular senior person coming across as quite arrogant when interviewed, entitlement just like a politician! The market was not at fault at all.
NOC on the other hand ran their airport well, and invested in the right things for the future, such as Cat 2.

WAT could have been a much better position if they tried to push for the runway extension 20 years earlier, it would allow it to have maximised the mixed aviation activity which doesn’t need to totally rely on passenger revenue, such as GA,SAR, Sun Holiday flights etc. there was also talk of locating an aircraft maintenance facility there for A320/737 sized aircraft. The revenue of all these activities could have made it more sustainable.
 
KIRFlyer
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:14 am

Clydenairways wrote:
GWY in particular suffered once the motorway was built and the fact that the local council had management chose to invest in the wrong things over the years and didn’t prepare for the inevitability. I recall reading that they didn’t want to invest in development to accommodate jets and Ryanair because the gravy train of Handout money would end. They also gave jobs to cronies and had very high average salaries compared to other regional airports. I recall a particular senior person coming across as quite arrogant when interviewed, entitlement just like a politician! The market was not at fault at all.
NOC on the other hand ran their airport well, and invested in the right things for the future, such as Cat 2.

WAT could have been a much better position if they tried to push for the runway extension 20 years earlier, it would allow it to have maximised the mixed aviation activity which doesn’t need to totally rely on passenger revenue, such as GA,SAR, Sun Holiday flights etc. there was also talk of locating an aircraft maintenance facility there for A320/737 sized aircraft. The revenue of all these activities could have made it more sustainable.


I was always quite sad to see GWY fail. I know the motorway played a role, as well as the recession and the financial struggles with RE at the time. It would not surprise me to hear that the management at the airport did not want to extend the runway, thus get larger aircraft (FR) in the airport for fear of driving away their "home" based airline, RE. RE were a Galway through and though airline. GWY was a great little airport. Flew to WAT/AMS, LTN, DUB and MAN from it back in the heady days of the Celtic Tiger.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4407
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Irish 3/22: And then, this happened ...

Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:31 am

Clydenairways wrote:
CFN survived because of the continued lack of good road infrastructure in the region.

Does this mean the airport is likely to die off longer-term, once road investment increases in the region?

dstc47 wrote:
CFN is indeed very isolated ... The small amount of oil and gas traffic might have helped.

I found it surprising they sustained a service to Glasgow for 30 years (ended by Logan Air last October), given the isolation - CFN said in October they hoped the carrier which took up the PSO route (now Emerald) would add Glasgow too. What are the odds of Emerald giving it a go, post-Logan Air's withdrawal?

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos